Services for Local Governments and CDDs
In Florida, city and county governments are responsible for providing and enforcing many of the laws, policies, rules and regulations governing when and how business happens in Florida. Those governments, along with state agencies, including the state’s water management districts, special districts, and community development districts (“CDDs”), also plan and provide the majority of the physical infrastructure constructed and operated for the benefit of Floridians.
Increasingly, local governments are also being called on to address the challenges of the future: aging infrastructure, sea level rise, and climate change. The attorneys at Fletcher Fischer Pollack, have experience serving as counsel to governments, agencies and special districts, whether they are actively redeveloping property within their jurisdictions, issuing financial instruments to fund infrastructure, or completing adaptation and resiliency plans for their communities.
Our work with public clients has included:
- Serving as developer and district counsel in establishment and operation of CDDs and other special districts located throughout Florida.
- Drafting regulations to implement adaptation strategies for coastal communities
- Preparation of revisions to local land development codes
- Serving as developer’s counsel for issuance of special assessment revenue bonds financing public infrastructure.
- Representing bondholders, developers and lenders in CDD debt restructuring negotiations.
- Serving as local counsel for issuance of tax exempt bond financing for affordable and workforce housing in Florida and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Negotiating establishment of tax increment financing districts and financing secured by tax increment revenues.
- Representing local governments in identification and designation of brownfield areas, community redevelopment areas and development of economic development incentives to support redevelopment.
- Representing public housing authority and nonprofit housing developers in obtaining full value of tax credits and refunds associated with state brownfield program.
- Representing local governments in comprehensive land use plan challenges.
- Negotiating master development agreements, purchase agreements and other documents required in public/private partnership redevelopment projects.
- Preparing requests for Qualifications/Proposals and overseeing public bidding for public construction projects undertaken by CDDs.
- Managing construction escrow accounts for completion of public infrastructure projects.
- Drafting and review of resolutions, ordinances and public contracts for construction and professional services.
- Responding to Government in the Sunshine and Public Records requests.
Fletcher Fischer Pollack, P.L assists cities, counties, CDDs, other special districts and regulatory agencies in providing important services to the residents of Florida. We are focused on building stronger communities through successful redevelopment projects, building workforce housing, increasing economic development activities and completing environmental remediation.